This actually turned out to be a really enjoyable exercise. My thanks to the Facebook friends who encouraged it:
1. I rarely drink anything besides water (sparkling or still, I do like variety you know). The usual alternatives are juice or a fruit smoothie.
2. I have worked in a wide variety of fields. I love the challenge of learning new skills and information, and then integrating it with skills and knowledge gained in other areas.
3. I value time with my wife and son over anything and everything. I don’t care who you are or what the personal or professional gain might be from attending a particular event, I will blow you off to spend time with Brigit and John-Francis.
7. I never outgrew my hippie idealism from college.
9. My wife is my best friend, and our relationship is one of affectionate intimacy. I’m amazed by how many people don’t seem to want this from a spouse, and instead spend much of their lives bitching about how little they have in common with the person they married.
10. I like organizing physical objects as well as ideas. This is obvious if you open any drawer I’ve been near (mine or otherwise) and if you read my research. I like taxonomies and putting things in boxes, which drives my dear friend Katy crazy. (I’ve put her in the “doesn’t like to be put in a box” box.)
14. I think the profound spiritual insights of our ancestors in the faith should be preserved without fettering them with the cultural assumptions and superstitions of the eras in which those ancestors lived. If that sentence makes sense to you, you’ll understand my theological writings and public stances on social issues. If it doesn’t, no amount of explaining on my part will help.
16. Fresh-baked bread and sharp (vegan) cheese is one of my favorite combinations in the world.
17. I used to write a lot of poetry, now I write a lot of prose. I think that what I lost in artistry I gained in clarity.
19. I wish I were more kind.
20. When I think about the number of stupid things I survived to learn the lessons I have learned, I am tempted to lock John-Francis up until he’s 30.
21. I can design web pages from scratch using a text editor, but I prefer not to.
22. I have never done any illegal drugs or smoked cigarettes. I hate both vices with a passion, the former because it makes you stupid and the latter because it killed three of my four grandparents.
23. Although I test as highly extroverted, and think of myself as one, I rarely enjoy parties with large groups of people I don’t know these days. I find I like fewer and fewer people the older I get, and that my tendency to speak frankly offends most people.
24. I think scientifically calibrated personality assessments are useful, and that Internet ones can be fun, so I keep results from both on this page. I am definitely an ENTP.
25. Nearly all of my diverse skills have something to do with words or weaponry, and I think it’s important that every person be willing to use both to defend those who are in positions of vulnerability.